GUWAHATI, Oct 10 - Four persons, including a minor and an elderly person, were rescued after a massive fire broke out in a multi-storey building in the Fancy Bazar area here in the wee hours today.
Fire-fighters rescued the persons after they were found trapped inside the building, which caught fire around 2 am. The incident took place at Fancy Bazar’s Kamala Market on TR Phukan Road.
Goods worth a sizeable amount of money were also destroyed in the inferno.
“Fire-fighters rushed to the spot immediately and rescued four persons who were trapped inside the building due to the fire,” official sources told this reporter, adding that the injured persons have been shifted to a private hospital.
“We got a call around 2.10 am, after which 12 fire-tenders were rushed to the spot. It took us several hours to douse the blaze,” sources said.
It appears that the fire emanated from the ground floor of the building and could have been caused by an electrical short-circuit, sources added.