Guwahati, Thursday, November 25, 2010
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
Centre reviews action against NDFB
Spl Correspondent
 NEW DELHI, Nov 24 – Operational plans against the anti-talk faction of the NDFB was firmed on Wednesday by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) following a meeting with the Assam Government.

The official-level meeting chaired by Home Secretary, G K Pillai and attended by Joint Secretary (North-east), Shambhu Singh and State Home Commissioner Jhisnu Barua and DGP Shankar Baruah reviewed the strategy prepared to take on the marauding militants who have unleashed a reign of terror in the State.

Sources said the meeting basically fine-tuned the strategy to be adopted against the militant outfit and tackled issue of coordination among the various forces.

As reported earlier, the Home Ministry had soon after the massacre of 24 people including Hindi-speaking people had ordered a joint operation against the militant outfit. Since then Union Home Minister, P Chidamabaram had visited the State to review the situation.

An upset Home Minister has ordered a full-scale operation against the militant outfit at a high-level meeting held at the North Block.

Sources said the joint operation in which the Army too would be roped in, would target the NDFB militants operating in North Bank. The possibility of security forces going in hot pursuit of the militants into the neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has not been ruled out.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi, who arrived in the capital last evening, is also likely to call on the Union Home Minister ostensibly to discuss the NDFB issue and the proposed dialogue with ULFA.

The growing restlessness among the ULFA leaders over the delay in their release from prison has worried the poll-bound Congress government. With the Home Ministry reluctant to commit itself on releasing the ULFA leaders facing serious criminal charges, the State Government is working overtime to convince Central leadership.

Meanwhile, in a Rajya Sabha reply, Minister of State for Home Affairs, M Ramachandran ruled out the possibility of launching a combing operation against the militants in the ‘hilly regions of the North-east’. However, concerted efforts are being made by the State Governments of the region to counter activities of the insurgent groups, he added.

The Central Government is maintaining close and continuous coordination with the State Governments in the region.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »