Guwahati, Sunday, November 11, 2012
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
Arunachal media houses shut down for two days

 ITANAGAR, Nov 10 – Taking strong exception to attacks on media houses and mediapersons despite deployment of police personnel, Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalists (APUWJ) and Arunachal Press Club (APC) today unanimously decided to shut down all newspaper offices and electronic media offices for two days from Monday, reports PTI.The members of APUWJ and APC in their meeting decided to shut down all newspaper and electronic media offices on Monday and Tuesday and also expressed strong resentment against the attack on ‘Echo of Arunachal’, the first English newspaper from the State, and its Associate Editor Tapan Kumar Das last night.

As a token of protest, APUWJ and APC decided to submit a memorandum to Union Home and IB Ministers to draw their attention towards the “atrocities” repeatedly committed on the mediapersons of the State.

It was unanimously decided in the meeting to indefinitely impose a ban on news and advertisement of All Arunachal Pradesh Public Transport Federation (AAPPTF) which had allegedly engineered the attack yesterday.

Yesterday’s attack on media was the fourth this year.

Arunachal Times office was vandalised on April 15 last, its Associate Editor Tongam Rina shot at in front of the office on July 15 last and other two staff were attacked on September 11 night last.

Meanwhile, IGP Sanjay Baniwal, Capital SP Surender Kumar, during a meeting with editors and journalists here today, assured early arrest of the culprits involved in the Echo of Arunachal attack case and deployment of armed police personnel at media houses.

The IGP also assured issuance of a status report by Monday on the probe into Arunachal Times’ Associate Editor Tongam Rina attack case.

Correspondent adds: Das was physically assaulted by a group of around 10 people last evening. Later, he was rushed to RKM Hospital for treatment.

The group destroyed four sets of computers and door of the office. Such was the audacity of the attackers that one hour later they again telephoned the newspaper office in police presence and threatened its management of severe consequence if they lodge FIR against them.

At the time of incident, two police constables were on duty at Echo office.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »