Guwahati, Thursday, November 08, 2018
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
ULFA(I) dismisses ‘news’ of Paresh Baruah’s death
Staff Reporter
 GUWAHATI, Nov 7 - A report in a web portal about death of the United Liberation Front of Asom (Independent) Paresh Baruah's death in a road accident created confusion in the State, but security agencies claimed that they do not have any such report, while, the ULFA (I) leader himself called up a few people this morning to bring an end to the speculations.

A web portal reported that Paresh Baruah succumbed to his injuries that he suffered in a motorcycle accident near the Myanmar-China border. But the security agencies do not have any such report. Security sources told The Assam Tribune that it is a fact that Baruah is staying along the Myanmar-China border areas. Sources said that Baruah was injured in a road accident but that was at least a month back where he suffered rib and leg injuries. No Indian agency has any input of any such accident in recent times.

Meanwhile, peace activist Hiranya Saikia said that he received a call from Baruah only this morning. He said that Baruah called him up at around 10 am today from an unknown place and "when I told him about the news of his death, he only laughed and said that such news appeared in the past also." He pointed out that in the past also, there had been reports of death of the ULFA(I) leader.

Saikia said that he is aware of the fact that Baruah had an accident some time back and “he called me after his recovery from his injuries and this morning he spoke to me.” He also said that the Government of India should make fresh efforts to bring Baruah to the negotiation table. “If the Government can send civil society members of Nagaland to try and bring NSCN (K) to the negotiation table, there is no reason why such an effort cannot be made to persuade Baruah to come for talks,” he added.

The ULFA(I), in a statement, said that it was a fake news spread by persons with vested interest. The ULFA(I) said that Baruah is safe and sound and called upon the people not to believe such “propaganda”.

Meanwhile, ULFA general secretary Anup Chetia said that he is finding it hard to believe the report as he had spoken to Baruah over telephone recently.

Chetia told media persons that Baruah had called him after the Guwahati blast and said he was recuperating well after the accident which took place somewhere in Myanmar.

“Yes, he met with an accident while riding a bike and sustained multiple injuries in his ribs and right leg. But that was around three months back. He even called me after the Dhola incident but I could not take the call,” the pro talks ULFA general secretary said.

Looking at the chronology of communication I had with him, the news does not appear to be true, Chetia said.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »