SHILLONG, Nov 2 – Meghalaya Government has directed the completion of disbanding process of the two Garo rebel outfits – the ANVC and its faction, the ANVC-B by next month.
“We have directed the need to complete the disbanding process of the two outfits by next month,” Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told reporters after a meeting held with the two outfits in the city here Friday evening.
At the meeting, the CM also asked the department concerned to ensure that the timeline are kept in order so that the objectives of the permanent peace settlement are implemented.
The disbanding process came in the wake of the Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) and its splinter group, the ANVC-B having signed the peace agreement with the Centre and State Government on September 24 in Delhi.
Earlier, the ANVC-B has also sought the approval of the State Government on the proposed setting up of a camp in West Garo Hills district for facilitating the disbanding process.
The outfit has proposed its earlier camp located at Edenbari, about 7 km away from district headquarters to house its cadres.
“Setting up of the camp for the cadres is needed so that we can disband our organisation,” ANVC general secretary Wanding Marak said while informing that the government has assured to provide the require assistance.
Informing that the outfit has around 300 cadres, he said, “We have to call them in order to have a physical verification because there have been so many things happening in these few months and most of them are scattered. We want to complete the disbanding process within November,” Marak said.
The CM informed that a joint verification by the government authorities will also be taken up in order that the entire process will be completed within the stipulated time frame.
The ANVC general secretary while speaking to reporters informed that the handing over of the arms will take place in the last week of November. – PTI