GUWAHATI, May 6 A clear picture of the number of untraced victims of the April 30 boat tragedy in Dhubri district continues to elude sections concerned, with the State Government coming out with figures, which had no mention of nearly a hundred traceless passengers.
State Government spokesperson Rockybul Hussain informed that so far 38 bodies have been recovered and around 30-40 passengers have managed to survive. He went on to inform that only 15 passengers are reported missing and the number of injured, according to Hussain, stood at 33.
However, the State Cabinet Minister failed to provide a clear picture about the rest of the passengers who boarded the ill-fated ferry on that day, especially when Hussain himself informed media today that altogether 205 tickets were issued. He also mentioned that the ferry was overloaded.
The Minister, who was camping at the accident site at Medertary, told reporters that of the 38 bodies recovered, 16 were of male passengers. The bodies included those of 15 minors.
Asked about the status of the unaccounted passengers, Hussain said, We have 15 people reported missing after the accident. If there are more missing people, the family members should report.
He further informed that the State Government has sought a package of Rs 365 crore from the Centre for development of water transport in the entire State.
Our Hatisingimari correspondent adds: The body of another ill-fated victim of April 30 boat mishap Abdur Rahim (22), son of Kashem Ali of Medobeel village was recovered today near Moinakandi, about 25 km downstream of Medertary.
Significantly, most of the relatives of the victims who have reportedly gone missing following the incident, are yet to report to the authorities. This has made it difficult to arrive at the exact all-accepted figure of the missing people in this connection, said the official sources.