Guwahati, Wednesday, May 02, 2018
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
 
Works on breached dykes, erosion protection incomplete in Lakhimpur
CORRESPONDENT
 NORTH LAKHIMPUR, May 1 - The Water Resources department in Lakhimpur district has failed to meet the deadline set by Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal for completing works on breached embankments and erosion protection before onset of the monsoon.

The Chief Minister had set April 30 as the deadline for completion of works on embankments in the State, which expired yesterday. Works on breached embankments and erosion protection of various rivers in Lakhimpur district are still incomplete, which were severely affected by last year’s flood.

Repair and strengthening works on the embankments of rivers Subansiri, Dikrong, Ranganadi, Dirgha, Kakoi, Bogeenadi and erosion protection works are still incomplete in the district. No works were done on the right hand side embankment of Subansiri at Bhimpora-Na-Ali in the 26th KM part at Kakatitup and on its 35th KM part at Burhi Mai Than.

Similarly, repair works on the same embankment at Khoga-Jugalpur part remains incomplete till date.

The Rs 362-crore Flood Management Programme-2015 works of Ranganadi embankment, Rs 105-crore works on Dikrong embankment and Rs 10.5-crore work on Durpang embankment have not been completed till today. Installation of geo-mats is yet to be done on a stretch of 5 kilometre on the left hand side embankment of Ranganadi while it has not been installed on a 12 kilometre stretch on the right hand side embankment of the same river in Lakhimpur. Works on the breached portion of the right hand side embankment of Ranganadi in Aamtola-Joinpur is complete. No protection work has been done on that portion.

Meanwhile, the All Assam Water Resources Contractors’ Association has expressed strong resentment over the expiry of the deadline of completing embankment works. At a press meet held in North Lakhimpur Press Club today, the president of the association Muhi Borgohain and secretary Bijoy Baruah said that the State Water Resources department had selected 26 embankments breached during last year’s flood and their completion had been announced by the same department. They said that only work that has been done on these embankments is dumping of sand and other related works like geo-mat and geo-tubes were yet to be completed. The contractors’ body flayed the delay in allotment of works for the embankments by the department concerned and informed that its work order was given only on March 15, 2018. They said that the Chief Minister should have given the deadline to the departments concerned in stead of giving it to the contractors to complete the works. They also said that there were various flood and erosion control programmes on different embankments across the State under different bodies like State Disaster Management Authority, State Planning Board and NABARD amounting to several hundred crores of rupees and these works had no deadlines. Similarly, the Chief Minister should set deadlines for sanctioning schemes, calling tenders and releasing funds without waiting till March 31, urged the contractors’ body.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »