ITANAGAR, March 8 - Former Deputy Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh and sitting MLA from Pakke-Kessang constituency in East Kameng district, Kameng Dolo has lost the membership of the State Assembly following a Gauhati High Court ruling in connection with an election petition filed against him by BJP leader and former Minister Atum Welly.
The Assembly Secretariat in a bulletin yesterday quoted the HC verdict: “…election of Dolo in the election held in 2014 is declared void under section 100 (1)(d)(iv) of Representation of the People Act.”
Another ‘notification’ from the Assembly Secretariat said that consequent upon the order of Gauhati High Court, the Constituency Pakke-Kessang “has fallen vacant with effect from February 8, 2017. As a consequence, Kameng Dolo has ceased to be a member of the Arunachal Assembly”, it added.
Welly, a former Congress Minister, had alleged that a fraudulent move threw him out of the election process, as the Election Commission accepted a forged letter of withdrawal that led to election of his opponent Dolo uncontested in the 2014 polls.
Welly in his election petition in the High Court said that his withdrawal from the election was illegal as his signature had been forged and so it must be declared null and void and the election conducted again.