Guwahati, Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
Action against anti-talk ULFA to continue
Spl Correspondent
 NEW DELHI, March 1 – Possibility of the Central Government signing any ceasefire pact with the pro-talk group of ULFA, looks remote, as it claimed that an informal pact is already in place.

Top official of the Home Ministry ruled out the possibility of slackening operation against the anti-talk faction of ULFA. However, there is a slim chance of signing of a suspension of operation against Arabinda Rajkhowa’s faction, as both sides have already come to an understanding in this regard, said sources.

ULFA leader Sasha Choudhury after their meeting with the Central Government had told newsmen that a proposal for a ceasefire pact is yet to come from the Centre.

The preliminary round of talks between ULFA and Government of India was held last month and both the sides agreed to resume dialogue after the elections and a seven-member coordination committee was constituted with two representatives each of Government of India and Assam and three from ULFA. The Committee is to look into aspects like setting up of designated camps, surrender and other related issues.

Union Home Minister, P Chidambaram presenting his monthly report for the month of February said that one of the significant developments during the month was the commencement of formal talks with ULFA. “On February 10, ULFA leaders called on me and, subsequently, on the Prime Minister,” he added.

Chidambaram further said that Centre is expecting to reach agreements with some of the nine militant outfits, with which it is holding dialogue during the current year.

A meeting of the Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Home Affairs was held to discuss matters relating to insurgency in the North-east and the initiatives taken by the Government to restore peace in the region.

“The Government is holding dialogue with some of them during the current year,” said the Home Minister.

Meanwhile, the Home Ministry has cleared creation of 235 posts in Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) in Kopili Hydroelectric Plant, 43 posts in Noth East Space Application Centre, Meghalaya.

Meanwhile, a high level committee has approved sanction of additional financial assistance to the tune of Rs 4141.73 crore of which Assam has been sanctioned Rs 206.17 crore.

On Border Management, the Home Minister said that 13 km of fencing and 12 km of roads works were completed last month under phase II of the Project. At least 24 km of fencing were replaced during the period under Phase III of the Project. Poles for flood lighting were erected on a length of 50 km and cables were laid on 30 km stretch.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »