|Steel wire on kite electrocutes woman, injures child|
KALAIGAON, June 22 - In a tragic incident, a 22-year-old woman from Bherbheribil village near Kalaigaon was killed and her three-year-old niece was injured when they came in contact with a live steel wire attached to a flying kite. The deceased woman was identified as Aklima Begum, wife of Jamal Badshah and the injured child as Alpona Begum.
According to witnesses and locals, a person named Bilad Barman, son of Hiren Barman, was flying a kite using a steel wire as a string, which snapped and got struck on to an electric line about 500 metres from the site of kite flying.
One end of the snapped wire was lying on the top of the victim’s house, while the other end attached to the kite was in contact with the live power network. As per information from locals, the unaware child first came in contact with the live string. Seeing the child in danger, the woman tried to save her, only to get connected with electrified steel string. The woman and the child were rushed to the Mangaldai Civil Hospital where the former was declared dead.
Expressing sorrow at the death, Kalaigaon subdivision SDO (E) Mrinmoy Kumar Deka requested people to be careful in future. He said that in some remote areas, people are involved in some dangerous activities like flying kites using conducting materials, trying to repair faulty parts of the electricity network, unauthorised extension of electric lines to be used in agriculture and fishing and for protection against wild animals.
Deka said these activities have often led to electrical accidents in and around Kalaigaon. APDCL officials with the help of police are working to dismantle such unauthorized electric networks. Such a drive was conducted in Chenibari, Barkhat and Bherbheribil villages recently, where 3.5 km of such an unauthorised network was dismantled.
APDCL officials from Kalaigaon have requested people to refrain from such illegal activities which might lead to accidents.