Guwahati, Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Today's EditionMain Weather Backissues Epaper Dainik Asam Videos Contact Us
Fresh probe likely in Mookhep firing incident
CORRESPONDENT
 SHILLONG, Feb 23 – Meghalaya Home department has dropped enough hints that a fresh probe would be conducted in the Mookhep firing incident, stating the magistrate who conducted the inquiry has put forward more questions in its report than giving answers on the terms of reference.

Home department officials said that magistrate SS Syiemlieh, who conducted the probe, has asked more questions in the report submitted, while not providing enough answers on the terms of reference.

“The report that was submitted to the Government and which is being examined by the Home department necessitates further probe in the firing incident,” a Home department official said. In the firing incident at Mookhep in Jaintia Hills district two people died and five were injured when security personnel opened fire on agitators last year.

Meanwhile, five NGOs from Jaintia Hills which called a night road blockade in the district in protest against the delay in making the Mookhep firing incident public has called off their stir on Sunday.

The NGOs stated that they would give time to the Government to make the report public after Chief Minister Mukul Sangma appealed to the organisations to give time to the Government to examine the report and take further action.

City »
State »
Other Headlines »
Sports »